Friday, July 24, 2009

Tutorial---Custom Decal Transfer Project






If you want to create your own personal work of art on glass..... just follow these simple instructions.
You will need decal transfer paper (Lasertran.....I bought mine online from DickBlick.com), a sponge, scissors, tray of water, and the object you wish to decorate. (vase, candle holder, ceramic etc..)

1. Print your images on the decal paper. I bought the paper for laser jet printers because most copy shops use them. You need to find a print shop in your area that prints with fusion oil. Kinko's doesn't, but specialty print shops usually do. I lucked out and found one right around the corner from my house.

2. Cut the image out fairly close to your picture, leaving a thin border around it.

3. Dip the decal under water. This releases it from the adhesive backing. It will want to curl up right away so you need to hold it down at all four corners till you feel the paper relax. Don't leave it too long or it will start to wash off the adhesive layer.

4. Slide the decal to the side, gently applying it to your glass piece. You have a little time for placement, sponging of the water and squeegee the air bubbles from underneath before it sets. This is where you need to work fairly quickly, but gingerly. If your fingers get too dry while adjusting it, you could tear the decal. Why do I know this?......trial and error.

5. When it's dry, it's time to bake it. Put them on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes. Baking instructions are on the package. Or, you may choose to coat them with varnish. Both methods help protect your image from scratches. I didn't have to do either of these steps because I poured soy candles inside mine which was around 150 degrees. Instant baking.

So there you have it. Let me know how it goes and send me a picture. I'd love to see what you come up with. Have fun! Karin

2 comments: