Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Furniture Face Lift






This table has been bugging me for a long time. The finish was in bad shape and the top had a leather inset that had seen better days. The only thing it had going for it was its perfect shape and size for displaying birthday cakes and small trees at Christmas.

So I finally got the courage to paint it a chocolaty black and glue down torn up pieces of various world maps in the center. Then I finished it off with several coats of varnish. There was some rippling in the paper, but I don't think it'll be that noticeable if I get a glass top for it.

If you happen to see it at my house, please be kind and don't bring attention to the bubbles. I was very impatient when it came to waiting for the glue to dry before adding a new layer.

Above are some pictures of the whole process. I wish I had one of the table before I started. Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. Love this table...is it for sale....and i love your blog, come visit, Dianne

    By the way I added your blog to my blog roll ..I guess you don't have one...but I still love your fab blog....Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool!! I love old maps!! I just ordered some from ebay last night..
    This table looks fab.. I love your 'If you come to my house.. comment!!
    Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making old things new again. I've never found myself that great at it in the past, but do get so inspired when I see it online these days. I've been following a blog of this couple doing up their whole house, and seeing what they keep and how they work with it has been fascinating for me! One day, I hope I'll be able to do similar with my own place. The color you chose for this table is great!

    ReplyDelete