Sunday, July 3, 2011

Corn Crazy Man






The vegetable garden is out of control this year. Art wanted to grow corn which is not easy to do. I tried to persuade him to plant something else and I'm glad he didn't listen. Corn needs really nutrient rich soil and all my past experiences with it have failed. I guess having chickens to fertilize our soil has changed everything.
Art calls me out to admires his corn babies daily. It's crazy how fast it grows.

We've got tomatillos, peppers, squash, tomatoes, pumpkins, beans, nectarines, strawberries, plums, leeks, herbs, and of course sweet peas and giant sunflowers.

It's official....we are frustrated farmers in suburbia.

6 comments:

  1. Karin...your garden looks amazing! My parents grow corn in their garden about a 100 ears a year...we love going to visit and playing in their corn 'field'...nothing beats home grown corn! Yeah Art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely amazing. Very jealous. The heat and drought has dried everything here to burned-up crispy-ness, tho I am still getting jalapenos. That corn IS crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one awesome garden. I'm jealous! We haven't had much luck this year but we keep trying. I have been putting the chicken poo in the compost in hopes of building up some fertile soil. It takes time and patience.

    Have a wonderful holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha crazy corn man looks soooo proud!!! It does look brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think the corn loves him back?
    your garden kicks some serious ass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your garden really does look fantastic - so lush. & i love that you get called out daily to see the corn, that's fun and the plants do look quite impressive - i'd be pretty proud too!

    ReplyDelete